• Penne pasta (or any pasta of your choice) 1 packet of 400 grams
• Salt 1 tsp
• Oregano 1 tsp
• Water to boil the pasta
• Oil 3 tbsp
• Onion 1 big, chopped
• Ginger paste 1/2 tsp
• Garlic paste 1/2 tsp
• Minced chicken 500 grams
• Salt 1 tsp
• Black pepper powder 1 tsp
• Oregano 1 tsp
• Basil 1 tsp
• Tomato pasta 1 packet [135 grams]
• Water 1 cup or more
• Butter 3 tbsp
• All purpose flour 3 tbsp
• Milk 2-3 cups
• Salt to taste
• Black pepper powder to taste
• Nutmeg powder 1/2 tsp
• Mozarella cheese
• Pasta Sauce 5-6 tbsp
1. Pasta: Boil pasta in water, seasoned with salt and oregano according to package instructions.
2. Drain, rinse with tap water, keep aside.
3. Meat sauce: Sauté onion in 3 tbsp oil until soft.
4. Add ginger and garlic paste and cook until raw smell goes off.
5. Add minced chicken, salt, black pepper and oregano and mix thoroughly.
6. Add tomato paste and water. Cover and cook for 15-20 minutes until the moisture. evaporates.
7. Now cook for 5-6 minutes without adding water, this will help eliminate the odour of the raw chicken, if left any.
8. Lastly, add water to adjust the consistency of the meat sauce, let cook for 1 more minute and turn the flame off. Keep aside.
9. Bechamel sauce: Melt butter in a pot on a medium flame and stir in the flour until smooth. Continue stirring as the flour cooks to a light, golden, sandy color, about 5-7 minutes.
10. Add 1 cup of milk and stir until there are no lumps.
11. Add 1 more cup of milk and stir.
12. Add salt, black pepper powder and nutmeg. Cook, stirring continuously until thickened. Add more milk if the Bechamel sauce is too thick. (It depends how heaped your flour spoons were. I had to use 3 cups of milk in total).
13. Turn the flame off and start assembling the lasagna.
14. Layers: Preheat the oven to 180°C.
15. Take a big rectangular casserole and brush with Pasta sauce. This keeps the lasagna moist and prevents the paste from sticking at the bottom.
16. Place half of the boiled paste, layer with half of the bechamel sauce and top with half of the meat sauce. Then sprinkle generous quantity of mozzarella cheese on top. Repeat with the second layer. Top it off with mozzarella cheese.
17. Bake in a preheated oven at 180°C for 30-40 minutes, so that the cheese in the middle melts properly and binds the layers together.
18. Take out of the oven and serve immediately.
Cream Cheese Frosting
• Butter 500 grams -cold but workable
• Philadelphia Cream cheese 1/2 cup [125 grams] - cold
• Vanilla 1 tsp
• Condensed milk 400 grams - cold
1. Put the condensed milk into the refrigerator a night before making the recipe. We need cold condensed milk in this recipe.
2. Cut the cold butter into thin slices and allow to soften for 5-10 minutes at room temperature. We need cold but workable butter for this recipe.
3. Whip the butter using a mixer until fluffy and light in colour.
4. Add cold cream cheese (straight from the refrigerator) and whip for a few minutes until well combined.
5. Add vanilla and cold condensed milk and start whipping.
6. Mixture will look like curdled or broken apart at this stage. Keep whisking with your electric whisk for 7-10 minutes straight (less or more) until the mixture has become creamy again.
7. Cream cheese frosting is ready. Use as required on your favourite cake.
8. I used it on my Red Velvet swiss roll, click HERE to get the recipe.
Red Velvet Swiss Roll
• Vinegar 1/4 tsp
• Milk 1 tbsp
• Eggs 2, at room temperature
• Granulated Sugar 1/4 cup
• All purpose flour 1/4 cup
• Cocoa powder 1 tsp
• Baking powder 1/8 tsp
• Oil 1 tbsp
• Red food color as needed (powder or liquid)
• Step 1 mixture
• Vinegar 1/4 tsp
• Baking Soda 1/8 tsp
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Grease a rectangular tray (9x13 inches) with oil. Put a butter paper and apply oil on butter paper. Keep aside.
3. Step 1: Mix vinegar and milk and keep aside for 5 minutes.
4. Step 2: Meanwhile, beat egg and sugar until sugar is completely dissolved and the mixture has doubled in volume, very light in color and airy in texture.
5. Step 3: Sift all purpose flour, cocoa powder and baking powder into the egg mixture.
6. Fold gently so that the batter does not deflate.
7. Step 4: Now add oil and step 1 mixture (milk and vinegar). Stir gently.
8. Step 5: Mix vinegar and baking soda and add immediately to the batter, fold gently
9. Transfer to the prepared baking tray immediately and bake at 180°C for exactly 10 minutes (using upper and lower heat).
10. Take out of the oven and allow to come to room temperature.
11. Dust a chopping board with icing sugar and flip the cake on to it. Remove the baking paper and dust with icing sugar again.
12. Cover with cream cheese buttercream frosting and roll carefully. Allow to chill for 1 hour.
13. Decorate with cream and enjoy.
#eidspecial #eidrecipes #redvelvetcake